"Men are born to succeed, not fail." Henry David Thoreau
We can find evidence everywhere around us that this is true – we hear of people overcoming all kinds of odds to live their dream, reach their goal, reunite with family, and make a contribution to society. Against all odds, overcome adversity in one or more area of life, such as finances, health, relationships, etc.
What makes those that succeed and overcome the obstacles in their life different from us? Circumstances? That could be a factor, but we can find people who were in similar circumstances to us who have overcome.
What makes us the same? I believe our inherent design. Look at children, what do they all have – especially when they want something? Persistence, enthusiasm, perseverance, singleness of focus – this is the same for all children! We were born with this design.
"We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are." Tobias Wolff
Now, I am not a doctor, nor have I studied the mind in depth, but I have applied truths in my life and seen results, which I freely share with you today. If you are reading this, you have most likely already
- identified where you want to go, what type of person you want to be, what legacy you want to leave, and
- decided you will do whatever it takes to get there
But you have come face to face with resistance, usually in the mind, and run up against a “sticking point” – a place you keep repeating over and over and over again and never gain any ground.
So let’s focus on the “sticking point”, the thing that we have come to believe, through experience, is so real there is no way around, above, below or through it. How can we change our minds in order to break through that barrier?
I want to emphasize most barriers begin in our heads, in our thinking, that leads to actions in line with our thinking, that leads to evidence our thoughts were valid. Some call this self-defeating behavior.
For example, I really want to make the world a better place by leaving a clear road map or instructions on the road I traveled in life for those who would like to travel that same path so they will not have to struggle as hard. It did not matter if what I was focusing on was a small goal – to write up instructions for a job duty or a life goal – write a book on overcoming adversity.
The “sticking point” for me was “I have nothing to offer.” “Who would listen?” “I am not qualified.” What steps are required to either break through this obstacle or have it become so small that it does not interfere? We already did the first step – identify the sticking point.
The steps to overcoming the “sticking point” require some time alone with our thoughts, a piece of paper, and a willingness to dig deep into our thoughts.
"The man of virtue makes the difficulty to be overcome his first business, and success only a subsequent consideration." Confucius
So grab your paper, get in a quiet place, and
- Write down all thoughts that run through your head. I know that some of these thoughts will make you feel uncomfortable, and possibly even make you respond physically! But I urge you to persist if you desire to be free and overcome that obstacle and achieve the desires of your heart!
- For each of the thoughts you wrote down, ask how these make me feel, and write everything down that comes to mind.
- Ask the question “When did I first feel that way?” and follow-up with “Who first made me feel that way?” We all receive words that bless or curse us, and most of us just take those words in, especially if they are said by someone we love or who is in authority over us. When we receive a thought, it takes root, grows, we begin to believe that about us, and we start to act in agreement with that thought – creating our own evidence it was true.
Now that you have this list, the next step is forgiveness, clearly identified in the article on forgiveness. For those that have come to visit here before, you know that I harp on forgiveness. It has been the single KEY to leaving my past behind, remaking myself, and stepping out into my original design, for success.
I have also personally know hundreds who have used these tools to identify the “sticking point” and then apply the only lasting remedy to diminish or even vanquish the obstacle that stands in the way of their design and destiny. Join us in living free.
You can too follow these simple steps and live your dream I. believe in you!
I would love to hear about YOUR breakthrough. Connect with me on Facebook and share your victory!
p.s. Could you do me a favor? I'd love for you to share this with your friends on Facebook and Twitter and add a comment below. Thank you so much and may YOU be blessed today!